#68 Web TV: How to Chip Consistently & Feel Confident Off the Green
How to Chip Consistently & Feel Confident Off the Green
What we are going to look at today is to get more consistent with your chipping....Plus I will draw the $25 gift voucher winner.
I constantly hear from golfers how inconsistent their chipping actually is and there is a reason for this... which I am about to share with you.
Now what you want to be able to do to be consistent with your chip shots is to chip a ball with the same club, creating the same feel, the same contact and a very similar result from the ball...which means the ball finishing in a similar area....time and time again.
Are you able to do this?
If you can't do it then there are some reasons why this won't be happening.
Your chip shot could involve too much wrist movement, your hands may flip when you hit the ball...which means you are not giving the ball a chance to respond off the club face. Another reason the club face may not be square (straight) when you make contact with the ball...you may try to scoop the ball up...or you may be lifting up your body as you hit the ball and you top it. There are quite a few reasons why the inconsistency happens.
Do any of these sound familiar to you?
In order for you to have consistent chip shots you need to be repeating the same movement with your chipping technique over and over again. Let me stress the right movement. No point in practicing the wrong chipping technique, you will ingrain bad habits even more.
This is what I want you to do to test yourself.
Go up to the chipping green next time you practice or you can do this in your back yard...get 10 balls, use your sand wedge and chip 10 balls the same way.
Once you have done this, let's reflect on those last 10 shots.
- Did your stroke feel the same every time you made contact with the ball?
- Did the ball finish in a similar area?
- If the ball didn't finish in the same area, then we have a problem...we have struck inconsistency.
If you have a look at the video above especially at 2min 22 sec on the video you will see my chipping stroke.
What do you see?
- You will see the same back and through motion
- You will see the ball respond (or bounce) off the club face
- You will see the club face staying nice and square when I make contact with the ball
- You will see my left arm and wrist stay straight
- You will see the bottom of the club make contact with the grass each time
- You will see that the movement is the same every time
The point I am making here is that it is all the same! Hence that is why the ball will finish in a similar area.
What you need to make sure that you are doing is the same technique to get the same result. This will create consistency in your chipping area of your golf game.
It's time to assess your chipping technique!
- Is your club face square when you it the ball?
- Are your wrists fixed in position when you make contact with the ball? (Straight back, straight through motion)
- Is the bottom of your club (the soul of the club) touching the grass when you make contact with the ball?
There are three simple things to take note of in your technique...are you doing them?
If you are not then here is your inconsistency straight away.
Make sure you check out the video above as well to see who the winner of the $25 gift voucher is for the month of January 2014.
For the month of February if you leave a comment below you will go into the draw to win something that will help you maintain your energy out on the golf course, plus help you focus! It is all natural as well.
Who wouldn't want to have more energy and focus on the golf course?
I know you do!
Here's to how to chip consistently and feel confident off the green.
To your golfing success,
If you enjoyed this please do me a favour, share with your friends on facebook and please leave your comments below.
P.S. If you want consistency in your golf game. Get the 3 Steps to Consistency that will give you the consistency that you need in your golf game. Click here to find out how!